HR and Benefits
How To Obtain Free At-Home COVID-19 TestsPublished: Jan. 25, 2022
The Departments of Labor, Treasury and Health and Human Services have released guidance regarding how to best support and distribute at-home COVID-19 tests.
Please see below for your options to obtain at-home COVID-19 tests at no cost.
At-home COVID-19 tests are available from the federal government by visiting covidtests.gov. Each U.S. household is eligible to order four free at-home tests from the federal government.
Employee Health Plan Coverage
As of Jan. 15, 2022, the MHS Employee Health Care Plan covers FDA-authorized/approved over-the-counter (OTC) at-home COVID-19 tests.
There are TWO ways to obtain OTC at-home test kits:
- Obtain your test through a Preferred Retailer
- If you use a Preferred Retailer in-store pharmacy counter, no further action will need to be taken as the test will be provided at no cost with proof of UMR insurance card.
- See the full list of Preferred Retailers here.
- In Nebraska and Iowa, the current Preferred Retailers are Walmart and Sam’s Club pharmacies.
- The list will continue to be updated.
- Obtain your test through another retailer or online
- If you use anything other than a Preferred Retailer in-store pharmacy counter, you can submit your purchase receipt(s) for reimbursement at the UMR member portal (active on Feb. 1) to receive reimbursement.
- The maximum reimbursement is $12 per test.
- Many COVID-19 tests are sold as a two-pack, so that means the test pack would be reimbursed at $24 ($12 for each test).
- You can obtain an OTC at-home COVID-19 test without a doctor’s prescription or clinical assessment.
- A maximum of eight tests per covered person per month are covered.
- Until the UMR member portal is active (Feb. 1), members may submit paper claims using the OTC at-home test reimbursement form.
If you have any questions regarding the Employee Health Plan, contact UMR by visiting umr.com or calling 1 (800) 826-9781.
If you test positive using an at-home test kit, please immediately contact Employee Health.